Saturday, June 30, 2012

June Training Recap - halfway through the year! Plus, a change of plans regarding July's event.

Hey everyone! I'm freshly showered after my 11 mile run this morning, and happy to report these stats for my training this month:


June 2012 Stats:

  • 16 days working out 
  • 71 miles running
  • 14 miles on the bike
  • 1/2 mile swim (like 22 laps)

The middle of June was a bit tough, scheduling-wise, because my husband Savva was out of town for 10 days so I was on solo-Eliana-duty (this is a very fun duty to have, by the way). Going to work out required either Elly's napping to coordinate around the Kid's Club's schedule at the gym, or a friend/family member to watch her. It was during that time that I realized that I just wasn't going to be able to set aside time for the necessary bike training for my planned July event of riding 112 miles. As you all know, I do things SLOWLY, so when I did go out for a 40 mile training ride at the end of May, the whole thing with bathroom and snack breaks and such took me 4 hours. To be ready to do 112, I would have had to find time to do 45, 55, 65, 75 and 85 mile rides, at the minimum, plus some smaller rides as well, which would have required at least 32 hours of riding over the course of 6 weeks  - - - on top of all the time I'm spending running! And Savva is going back out of town for the next 10 days, which always makes scheduling trickier. SO. I feel conflicted about this, but I've decided to change my July event. Instead of a 112 mile bike ride (chosen to top my longest ride ever of 108 miles, plus it is the Ironman bike distance) I have signed up for Venus de Miles, a women's only 62 mile (that's a metric century) road ride on July 29th. Still a bike event, still a significant distance, but I do feel lame for not being able to make my original goal - I should have thought it through back in January I guess and realized that it wouldn't happen.

In July I'll be prepping for the marathon, triathlon, and metric century all at once. If all goes according to plan (which it won't; but I find that if I make big goals I accomplish more than if I make little goals), I will work out 26 days, run 108 miles, bike 317 miles, swim 264 laps in the pool and swim 1 mile IN THE LAKE. (The lake is scary, but it's gotta be done!)

Now since this is the last day of June, I am officially halfway done with my Year of Racing (Slowly!). So I'm also totaling up everything for the entire first half of the year:

  • 94 days working out 
  • 267.47 miles running
  • 152 miles on the bike
  • 68 laps in the pool
  • 765 floors climbed
  • 170 minutes on the elliptical
  • 7 times up to the top of the climbing wall
  • 5 strength training sessions

Wow. Cool! Way more, I'm sure, than I would have done if I didn't have this crazy project - but still less than I would have liked and less than I planned. That's the trouble with making big big big plans! Do you do this to yourself?

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing... I really love that you were able to give a scholarship to a high school student. You are a class act!

    ReplyDelete