Saturday, July 14, 2012

Workout Music Recommendations, Please!!!

Hey all! I'm beginning to recover from this morning's 14 mile run along the lakefront, which began at 5:30 am and lasted until almost 8:30 am...see, I am being perfectly honest when I say that I am a SLOW runner! (I averaged a 12:37 minute mile.) I'd sort of forgotten about all the icky bits of long runs for marathon training - the very early alarm clock setting, blisters,  exhausted and painful legs, and the chafing in places mentionable and unmentionable. But I still believe it is all worth it to reach my goal of finishing another marathon and raising money for great nonprofits in the meantime!

When I'm exercising, I definitely like to listen to music, but I haven't overhauled my playlist in years - and that's where you come in! Please, give me one or two (or ten) of your favorite songs to get you going when you're running or at the gym. Obviously, upbeat is good, and I'm a sucker for lyrics that mention running (i.e. "So I ran faster..." from Tori Amos' "Precious Things" or "You'll run and not grow weary..." from U2's "Drowning Man" or even "In a mile you'll be feeling fine..." from Citizen Cope's "Son's Gonna Rise.") 

Here's what's currently on my playlist; are any of them your favorites? Some of them are definitely tease-worthy as well, don't hold back. :)

Ani DiFranco - Manhole, Gravel
Boyz II Men - Motownphilly
Braddigan - Valeu Valeu, Ileana
Citizen Cope - Son's Gonna Rise
Dave Matthews Band - When the World Ends
Dispatch - Melon Bend, Con Man, Beto, Broken American
East Mountain South - Rain Come Down
Eric Clapton - Layla
Gaelic Storm - Bonnie Ship the Diamond
Homestar Runner - Everybody Knows It
Jars of Clay - Flood
Joan Osbourne - St. Teresa
Juanita Bynum - Shake Us Again
Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl
Live - Meltdown, Pain Lies on the Riverside, Forever May Not Be Long Enough
N'Sync - It's Gonna Be Me
Nirvana - Verse Chorus Verse
Radiohead - Reckoner
Red Hot Chili Peppers - This Velvet Glove, Dani California, Snow, Charlie, Stadium Arcadium, Slow Cheetah, Torture Me, Strip My Mind, C'mon Girl, Wet Sand, Hey, Tell Me Baby, Hard to Concentrate, 21st Century, She Looks to Me, Make You Feel Better, Turn It Again
Shakira - Hips Don't Lie
State Radio - Mountain, Right Me Up, Fight No More
Tori Amos - Precious Things
U2 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Magnificent, Breathe, The Saints Are Coming

1 comment:

  1. I love your playlist! It's so 90s and early 2000s.

    I would add One Man Army from Our Lady Peace and the whole record "Two lefts don't make a right (but 3 do) by Relient K. That album was my number 1 running and biking music when I was a new runner in the Army and the 2nd slowest person in my unit.

    I actually usually listen to Podcasts these days when I run.

    ReplyDelete