Saturday, April 21, 2012

A bit of an unplanned rest.

I've had a bit of a setback in my running goal for this month.  :(

Last Saturday I went out for my usual "long" run of 5 miles at a very easy pace - no big deal, each of the two weeks before I'd also done a 5 miler. Felt good during the run itself, but after my shower I noticed myself limping a bit, and as the day went on it became clear that I'd somehow injured the muscle on the inside back part of my left knee.

That's where it hurts.

I rested on Sunday and Monday, and went to the gym on Tuesday to try running again - and after only one mile I started to wince every time my foot hit the tread, so I stopped and did the elliptical instead. I meant to try again on Friday or Saturday - but we've been really busy and I just didn't have time.

So the first week of April I did 15 miles, the second week was 15 miles, and then this third week, instead of being 18 miles like I'd planned, was only 1 mile. Sigh. I guess the most important thing is to let it heal. And I know that there are so many truly awful sports injuries (thinking of you, collarbone-breaking bike-racing friend, you know who you are!) so I do count myself lucky that this is minor. I've got climbing class tomorrow - here's hoping for no injuries in THAT! :)

1 comment: