Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Race Recap: The Ravenswood Run!

Two days ago (sorry for the delay in posting!) I did the shortest race in my Year of Racing Slowly - a 5K called the Ravenswood Run. And my knee felt great! (Happy dance!) This is a race that I've run four times before, in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, with times ranging from 28 minutes and 16 seconds (my best 5K time ever!) to 36 minutes and 42 seconds. Before Savva and I bought our condo, we lived in an apartment right on the race course, so it was ultra easy to roll out of bed and walk to the start of the race.

This is the first race of the 2012 where I wasn't alone - let me introduce my fabulous co-runner, Ronald Leon Hale the 4th. Ron & I have been friends for about 10 years now, and he's been a support to me through thick and thin - so I was very happy when he wanted to join me! He groused a bit about it being cold and early and such, but we had a great time running at a comfortable pace while chatting, and finished in 34 minutes and 7 seconds.

Note how Ron's bib number is almost like π!
But Ron wasn't my only companion! My wonderful father and faithful husband & daughter also came out bright and early. Dad & Savva walked part of the race course with Elly in the stroller, though she demanded a stop at the playground on the way. Then we all headed to brunch together at Wishbone on Lincoln.

Mmm, breakfast burrito. :)
It certainly wasn't my fastest time for a race, but given that I had barely run at all in the two weeks prior because of pain in my knee, I was just fine with that! Next up: the Soldier Field 10 Mile on May 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment