Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Motivating Power of a Mini-Goal

I've been so focused the past two weeks on some of the couch potato aspects of this project: yes, there are some! I've been spending Elly's naptimes researching marathon training schedules and getting my fundraising letters written, edited, printed, folded, stamped, and addressed, almost all of which can be done while sitting on the couch in my bathrobe. But, uh, the bad part is that I've only been to the gym 3 times so far this month, and the month is almost halfway over. D'oh. I've just kept saying to myself, "Well, I'll definitely go tomorrow." Unfortunately, that trick always works on my mind. Time for.....The Motivating Power of a Very-Specific-Mini-Goal!

I love goal setting - - - it gives me a sense of accomplishment...before I've actually done anything! This is a bit of an issue. I also have a really hard time if I give myself too much wiggle room. For example, I might say to myself "I'll work out at least 10 times this month" at the beginning of February, and then the pressure isn't really on until February 19th (oh, actually February 20th this year since it is a leap year!) to really start - I'm a champion procrastinator.

So I've learned that for goal-setting to actually result in some action in MY life, I have to make my goals very specific, and very short-term. So I resolve to work out today and the next 5 days in a row, and for at least one of those workouts to be a swim in the pool (with a soak in the hot tub afterwards as a reward, of course) and one of those workouts to be on the climbing wall at the gym. I've been getting a little tired of just rotating between the treadmill, the elliptical and the stairmaster.

Hey, if you'd like to follow my training a little more closely and also keep track of your own exercise in a technologically cool, social network-y (is that a word? probably will be soon) kind of way, check out www.endomondo.com. It's free and they have an app for your smartphone that actually tracks your outdoor workouts on a map. Here's the direct link to my profile: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/3363464. Friend me on the site if you decide to join and I'll be sure to leave you some encouraging comments on your workouts!

Do you like setting goals for yourself? Are they effective in motivating you to make progress towards the goal? What's your biggest goal-setting success story? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Just got your letter in the mail and am so very proud of and excited for you Danika! Not to mention all the worthy organizations that will benefit from what you are doing! This is just awesome and so are you! We will definitely donate to one or more of the organizations this year and may even try to come out and cheer you on for one of your races. I need to talk with Bob (and maybe Sean, in case he wants inputs) as to where we want to direct our donation. But if you don't hear from me soon, please hold me accountable and remind me that I pledged to do this. You rock my friend! Here's to an awesome year of running and raising money for those will really need it! Happy Valentine's Day to you, Savva and your little sweatheart! xoxo

    ReplyDelete